Melancholy
Paula Robles Nettel
I can ignore, suppress,
periodically forget you.
I can bury you in the bottom,
somewhere inside of my chest
leave you in a dormant state.
When you awake, claiming momentum
like a soundless multi-current river,
you rumble inside of myself.
You press and bounce inside of me,
My chest, pin ball machine
tiny invasive ball of feelings
you travel from my heart,
side by side, all over my chest,
up and down in my sternum,
never resting, you then go down
becoming an emotional hiatal hernia,
and there you confuse me,
for I don’t know
if it is my chest or my stomach that hurts,
or is it in my head?
For I suffer no physical or mental illness,
for I function normally in the world,
I have no answers for what this could be,
for no one has ever proved
if the heart shelters feelings,
nor where or if the soul exists.
Stavanger, January/March 2015
No comments:
Post a Comment