Extracts from my mind: The beginning (1)
Paula Robles Nettel
Paula Robles Nettel
Henning
Alexander was overwhelmed by a heart full of indecision, living in a worn down cohabitation
relationship of almost two decades, two relatively young children and a date on
the calendar to get married the following summer; and as if all this wasn't enough, he carried in his shoulders the weight of a newly diagnosed mental
illness in his 38th year of life. A disease that eventually
would cause him a loss of credibility in his analyst/journalist career based on
his passion for politics, economics and business. A man with a successful life
suddenly found himself in the greatest crossroads of his life. Everything that
had defined him as a man until then crumbled before him. He didn’t know where
to go when everything he had achieved professionally was potentially in danger of disappearing and his
private life drowned him completely. He was trapped between his and his family inability
to understand his diagnosis; the sane man was about to move to a new dimension
in his life, that would eventually distance him temporarily of the prudence he had carried for so many years and that would take me too far
from the path of prudence and to face all my prejudices, my own morality and taboos.
There was no
doubt in my mind that ours was just a friendship from afar, originally from
Oslo, Henning Alexander lived in the eastern part of the country where he
worked for an important company and held an important and lucrative position which
had provided him with a very comfortable and promising life, both economically and with the right connections in his professional circle. During the time we shared correspondence,
I marveled at his intelligence, I had never met someone so bright, so
sensitiv, we exchanged pages and pages of correspondence, I was charmed by
his Norwegian eloquence, words that took me into a new dimension where I rediscovered a world known but forgotten in my
own language, and at the same time an unimaginable one that for the first time
in my life was revealed in Norwegian to me; a new situation, after living the
past decade communicating with my ex-husband, at work and with friends in
English.
His
correspondences were usually complicated texts, metaphors and riddles in
Norwegian, that arrived every day as a lifesaver from my daily routines; to
decipher the identity of his soul and his mind had become something exciting
and as satisfying as in the discovery of my own being. With the passing of the
days our conversations had become essential to him in the survival of the great storm
of his life, many shared words of encouragement had made me in his eyes his" vitamin", a place of respite and his harbor of hope as he so many times called
me in those early days before we met.
| "På plassen der klokkene klinger, der havet synes og galematiassen fra Fagerborg". Henning Alexander |
When the
opportunity to work in Stavanger arrived, it was normal to be curious about the
stranger one knew so well in writing, that in an instant online, among thousands
and thousands of people, had found each other in the exact moment when the soul
is begging us to undress her with the truth in the search of hope and meaning.
The last mails before we met were very strange for me, but I wasn’t surprised anymore, for during all this time we have used metaphors and analogies to express
ourselves, and because so many other times correspondence with him had already
been eccentric and puzzling but always reaching a conclusion. However, the last
times his correspondence denoted something I did not fully understood, that his
condition had worsened and with it my ability to sense it too. In the last
emails before we met, Henning Alexander had written me a lot of what was
happening around him, sentences that had no logic then for me but then with the
pass of time would revealed some things about his life that otherwise he didn’t had
disclosed. He wrote about the bullets that passed around his head, and how they could
never killed him because he had exceptional people around him, and his brain was
working in three dimension instead of two, like Karlson and Kasparow; He continued saying that he was good in mono-causal thinking but that he was done with it, preferring
Carl Popper, Thomas Kuhn and Habermas, because he was open-minded and not only
of honest thinking and he wrote about a blog that was not his but that he knew well
the people behind it, they were good people contrary to another blogger bearing
the name of Fjordman (Man of the Fjord) who he despised, and that mountain and jungle
men were better, and that he had the ability to exterminate with the fire of
his tongue, those who needed to be exterminated, like the trolls, pigs and
peacocks, but that he knew that was not his call at that time and he needed to
keep a cool head, he was on the top and soon he would reach a valley, there he
wanted to rest in the harbor of hope if I allowed him to do so. It was over a
year after our last meeting that I understood that my moral perception of
Henning Alexander had been correct and not just a result of a passionate love,
after the attack and slaughter on the 22nd of July 2011 when it emerged that
Fjordmann’s ideology had been one of the main triggers of the ideology of the
worst murder in the history of Norway.
The time
and distance of our correspondences were not enough for me not interpret his
words and not even to question his sanity, perhaps it was because I was also losing
it, with the weight of a decade that had no longer meaning for me, with the
domestic problems that followed me after my divorce related to the threatening depression
of my ex-husband that we were already dragging for more than seven years in our
marriage and later in our after divorce dynamics, and how it influenced the
custody of our son. So instead of understanding the lack of sanity of Henning
Alexander’s words and retract myself to meet him, I gave myself without knowing
permission to unleash my own folly at that time, stating to him that I was
exhausted from the battles, that I
wanted to leave everything, but the love for my son was what kept me going; I continued
telling him how I despised that the concept of life would have been sold to me
with a pink filter and that it had taken so long to accept that it really was not;
there was no magic wand or fairy tales. I didn’t even have the ability to live
an empty, superfluous life and that my curse had always been to act ethically in
life when the world around me did not give a fuck about ethics. I mentioned him about
the valleys and mountains where I also sometimes stood, and about my rational
thought that got obfuscated with the emotional disabilities of an unfounded
optimism that didn’t let me progress, and as he had a more progressive thinking
than mine perhaps it was possible for him to help me ask the right
questions, since the ones I had made so far, had not been good enough to find the answers to my existence.
The last
riddle he sent before we met was about where we would meet for the first time:
"In the
place where the bells ring, where the sea witnessed the madness of a lunatic
Fagerborg, who tried to seduce lady Justice with his Norwegian cardigan, after
shooting and trying to make himself a life with KASNOK money." He was
referring to the Stavanger Cathedral that six years before had witnessed the
largest hands armed robbery in the history of Norway, also known as the NOKAS
case, where a commando of armed men led by a man from Fagerborg, had stolen about
ten million dollars of the cash depot service NOKAS, in the peaceful town of
Stavanger.
On that
cold and starry winter night I could hear the creaking sound of the frozen and
snowed ground while walking, it had been an unusual winter in the region where we
would see so much snow for several months. My hands were trembling under the
woolen gloves I was wearing; I tried to observe myself in the silence of the cold
night to make sure I looked presentable. My heavy coat of black wool protected
me from the minus ten degrees Celsius of that night, and I wore my long brown hair hidden under my dark wool cap. I carried with
me no hidden intentions and therefore had chosen a casual attire, with a
discreet makeup. The Stavanger Cathedral bells chimed nine o’clock at night,
the center of Stavanger was empty. Between time and myself, stood the statue of one of his favorites authors Alexander Kielland with his eternal vigilant presence as the only
faithful witness of the stories that unfold in that port and of the first
epicenter of the many that would be felt in this story.
I sat waiting on the first perpendicular bench located across the
cobbled street opposite the cathedral, to my left was the entrance of the 800
year old cathedral, the gray and austere stones had just been familiar for more
than nine years but never before special enough to persuade me to visit inside
more than twice in that time. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of his taxi I
still didn't know why I had agreed to go to meet a stranger, but my curiosity
had increased his words in Norwegian, that within a short time, had made of our
friendship a glue of hope for our broken realities. I spoke with Henning about
many things I didn’t have the chance to speak with someone else, and that he understood
well because of his own experience: the pain of our hurting and confused hearts
and lives; for me the pain of a divorce that ended my project of life with my ex-husband
and losing the anchor of that love that had sustained the reason for my
existence in this country; we talked about our sadness cohabiting for so long
with someone who did not believe in God and realizing that in the tribulations of
our respective relationships, we were the only ones kneeling down to pray, both
of us understood the vacuum space of leaving faith to follow love. We spoke
honestly of the years in our respective relationships, which had lost the basic
sense of intimacy and in my case by the lack of interest of my former husband,
who in the last three years of marriage had lost completely the interest in intimacy
with me, time in which, despite the pain of my many frustrated attempts, I remained faithful but consequently after my separation and
divorce, this situation drove me into a painful emotional and physical exile of two years where Henning had found me,
caused mainly by the lack of validation of my femininity, and finally for I carried
the guilt of leaving a marriage burdened by the depression of my ex-husband,
who refused to be treated.
There, sitting on the bench, that bench I now call
my own, as part of the few physical reminders of this story that manifested in
my life to make me understand that it was not as simple as I always thought I was, there, waiting for his
arrival, to my mind came details of our first mails, of the things that we had in common, like our
discussions of faith, we used the time moving arguments for and against our
relationship of reasoning vs. faith, a constant dance of years that the two of
us had in common between rejecting or
giving us blindly to faith. Those talks were essential to understand each
other, we had in a way similar background, he grew in strict Lutheran
environment and I in a Catholic one. We found other similarities in our
love for music, the acoustic guitar that was one of his hidden talents and for
me my favorite instrument. In our passion for Beethoven symphonies, the opera,
the colors of Van Gogh and having hung in our adolescence bedroom wall the same
poster of "Cafe Terrace at
Night" at more than 2,000 kilometers away, the dark beer, exotic and
Norwegian food, among many other things and finally in the interest of the
words with meaning that had lifted us from the sadness where we met.
Back then
Henning Alexander called me his Valkyrie of the South, he used to say my light
was so beautiful as that of the polar aurora, and he started calling Sørlyset,
meaning Aurora Australis and I returning the compliment, I started calling him Nordlyset
which means northern lights in Norwegian; a simple detail that got me
interested a little more in the world of Norse mythology, Northern lights and
poetry in particular, which until then had forgotten how much I liked it. It was
like suddenly the life I lived in this country went from being like a fixed
image of one-dimension to a panoramic and constantly moving reality with every thing he told
me about history, mythology, literature, philosophy, theology, etc. he transformed the image with movement to other dimensions. Hope manifested in our daily life, in the
smiles that we were giving each other in the distance of our times, with each new
mail coming to our computer, we survived another day. To me, they were
wonderful days of correspondence, sitting in the living room of my apartment
that like many homes in Norway is on the second floor. I was surrounded by the
light outside and inside, light that through those windows filled me with a
positive mood from that unusual gift that nature had given Stavanger that constant
cold snowed winter of three months, of days of blue skies and dazzling suns;
between those days and nights a new and strange alliance started to get woven for
both of us, summarizing it in a few words: the feeling of hope in the midst of
the storm.
No comments:
Post a Comment