Sunday, 3 January 2016

Extracts from my mind: After the storm, Tobias (13) the more my son grows the more I am convinced that we did the right thing, for his place was next to those children. Anything else I could say about those years, what he felt then or now would be merely speculation, thought I know well that my writing and the disclosure of such intimate details will not please him.

Extracts from my mind: After the storm, Tobias (13)
Paula Robles Nettel


Five years have past since those days. Henning didn't kept his promise and didn't contacted me after the three years went by. Last December while I was walking the snowed parks of the Oslo Castle in what I could define as the perfect moment of uneventful happiness with my then boyfriend and my son, I received unexpectedly short mail from Henning, apologizing for the dismissal of our agreement of three years, circumstances were difficult for him to keep his promise. And now, though he felt remorse for contacting me he just wanted to tell me how much he had been thinking of me all these years, how much he missed me and how much he wished he could speak to me about  all the things that had happened in his life. That there had been many ups and downs in his life but that it seemed to be better for him and he was hoping my life also had turned out all right.

The more my son grows the more I am convinced that we did the right thing, for his place was next to those children and the life that was going to sustain them growing safe and healthy. Anything else I could say about those years, what he felt then or now would be merely speculation; thought I know well that my writing and the disclosure of such intimate details will not please him, I do it for me, for he moved on in the silence he imposed on us, and I tend to move on in friendship, something that he ultimately denied me when he disappeared from my life. I need to speak out in order to find the freedom I seek, for in the honesty of the things I've spoken about were  also years of great growth and joy and not just suffering. After all I realized the true meaning of my womanhood, and to an extent the difficulties of being human in a world full of prejudices.  I learned to love with out possessing and to love with freedom. There is nothing left in me to say, I hope the new year brings me the reconciliation with myself that I so much need. 

From Oslo Domkirke 
31. December 2015
-I-I-I-


Tobias

My days passed in silence, not a word more  from  Henning. Silence as a punishment took over my life. I checked the mailbox of my house for the next three years waiting for the stones and the cd’s with the music he promised, they never came. During the month of May, I attended daily the Stavanger Cathedral that was exactly in front of my office, I came at 12:00 every day I sat to mourn in silence, begging God for an answer, consolation, an explanation; Henning silence like God’s were constant. I do not remember another time in my life with more pain than these days. Despair took me into a state of depression, and in the attempt to numb my emotions I achieved to block the love of my son that for weeks did not provoked anything in me. I was totally lost in my mourning, my reality, the heaviness of my shame, the pain that my actions afflicted on me, and all I could not understand and so far have failed to fully understand.

The cathedral became my daily refuge, whenever the storm inside of me was coming, I left the office and sat there to compose and decompose myself in order to continue. In all that time I sat there I saw tourists entering the cathedral behaving like tourists without culture, saw some worshipers and the caretakers of the cathedral. In more than a month that I attended every day, no one turned to see the unhappy woman with the hidden shame, with her head down facing the floor, silently crying leaving puddles of tears on the floor of the cathedral.

One of those days, maybe one of the worst days of my pain, hidden in the less visible places of the cathedral, with my forehead leaning on the chair in front of me, tears dropping to the floor I quietly demanded God to speak up, telling him I wouldn’t go from there until he would speak to me and give me comfort, an answer, a reason, an acquittal, I demanded with irreverence for his answer. A few minutes later, someone touched my shoulder, lifting my head to look up, a man dressed as a priest with blue and tender eyes said:

“Do you want to talk?”

I raised my head suppressing the desire to clean again my nose with the sleeve of my sweater already wet with tears and snot that somewhere I had to improvise where to leave. Dressed as a priest, standing by my right side, a man in his fifties, with  kind eyes asked me if I wanted to talk about something. Seeing his priest robe and after my demanding monologue with God minutes before, I said yes. The poor priest couldn’t have known that he was going to be receiver of the greatest vomit of my soul, the verbal incontinence of a broken heart, without answers, divided between feelings and thoughts about morality and love.

I spoke in a broken voice, incomplete incoherent sentences escaped me trying to articulate some sentences that could make sense to him “ A bipolar man we became friends, we chatted online for months after we met, we met, fell in love, I did not know he was sick, I did not know what being bipolar was, but his illness brought us here both to church, to God”. I said with tears and cut words, a dripping nose with eyes full of pain. And continued, “His partner and children, this could not continue, this had to end to protect others, but I can’t find peace” I told him.

And finally I cried without shame in the midst of that church. Tobias touched my shoulder gently with his hand, he let me cried until I stopped, then he prayed aloud for me and  Henning and handed me  his card and said "find me when you have strength to speak",  he stood up and said goodbye. I took his card and read it while putting the sleeve of my sweater in my nose. It said 

Tobias M. (Sjelesørg) Pastoral Care.

A few weeks passed before taking the decision to contact him. I did it first with an email explaining what had happened in my marriage and then with Henning.  The following week I met Tobias in his office. Before we started our dialogue Tobias told me he had to say something very important and that he needed clarify this with me before we could started talking more about me. Tobias told me that because of my letter and the things I had already told him about Henning’s mental illness, he saw fit to tell me that he had been many years ago diagnosed as bipolar and had been admitted to a psychiatric hospital when the episodes of his mania showed up. It had already been several years since the last time he had one episode, but that he thought it was relevant to tell me so I could make the decision of whether or not to trust him despite his diagnosis.

I smiled at him and said I wonder if this is coincidence. He then said smiling, “this is what my people call “Godincidence”. And so, with that comment we broke the ice and we started a long year of conversation sessions where Tobias helped me to express not only the pain of the situation that I had just experienced, but all that I had dragged with me from my failing marriage and some things related to my childhood and youth that had influenced indirectly why I ended up in this country. Tobias helped me to forgive myself and establish barriers to protect my space which was immediately reflected in the way my relationship with my ex-husband took on a new dimension of mutual respect and cooperation that not always existed. There were no meetings without tears, but there was always understanding, no judgment or words that could make me ashamed. What I found in the office of Tobias was an oasis of expression, a place to come clean, full of empathy and the comfort for my soul that I much needed.

The fact that Tobias had experienced firsthand a mental illness, helped me a lot to understand both sides of the situation in which I had found myself witness in Norway. The fact that this man had successfully overcome what had must been one of the greatest storms of his life, and how he was now able to get me (and others)out of the emotional hole where I was, gave me back hope that these two men that had come into my life through love and that simultaneously were suffering in their own heavy storms in the early months of that year, could very well return to a life of stability and prosperity. My hope for them was not only that, but a concrete possibility.


No comments:

Post a Comment