Identity.
While I
start the process of creating a beautiful space for my son to experience his
national day, in our home, thoughts rush to my mind. How much local pride can I
give him? For it is I, from his family who takes interest in the local
traditions, even if they are not my traditions, for there is nothing I consider
worse than to celebrate something without meaning.
So many
times a day the world stands in my shoulders when I think of all this, the
identity of this boy is for me to shape. I want him interested, engaged, I want
him to belong, I want him to develop and be the best he can be, in the land
that is his land, with the people that geographically are his people.
For our
lives will continue and perhaps conclude in this part of the world. And it is
not that I feel I have so little to offer him, for I know there is much in me
to offer, for I know the value of things, and I seldom take them for granted.
What scares me at times, is not being sufficiently inspiring. I grab from all
and everyone, the love they offer us, and rejoice in the tiny pieces of their identity
that they let us experience with them. Like a patched jacket of many different types
of fabric, we are dressing our lives in what others share with us about their
country.
It shrinks
my heart to know that I will leave him alone in this world, and it is then when
I feel the sharp edges of my decisions cutting me deep in the soul. I am in a
race with time, I fight on a daily basis with myself to continue this journey, and
to give up has never been an option. I push myself further in order to keep him
above the water as much as I can.
I think of
myself, the mother of this boy, scared of the dark until I was 37, but completely
brave when facing the world, and going after my dreams since I was a child. That
is the part of me I want to leave him. For one learns eventually to accept and
love the dark, and so I hope he will find light in the dreams, the people he
meets, and love from his past will take him further into the future he will
have to create by himself, just as I did in the borrowed country, just as I
continue to do even in the absence of all the wonderful things that I have
known, and that I left behind.
What a
wonderful childhood, to grow in this country, far away from the daily exposure
to violence and fear. That is the gift we have given him. That is the gift I
have received and I will forever be amazed about the random events that took me
here. But here I am, this is my home, and I love my life, with all its
imperfections, and struggles, this is my life and I gladly give it first and
foremost to him.
No comments:
Post a Comment