Wednesday, 23 April 2014

With permission to remember: Running backwards



With permission to remember: Running backwards
Paula Robles Nettel

I didn’t even turn myself to see him as I stood up from bed that early morning in that place, that nothing revealed the night before, when I finally made it to our time machine, after that long journey. There were two celling to floor windows just in front of our bed; through the white curtains I could see the light of spring in the foreign land. And across that crystal, sleeping were those who sleep eternally. Their beds made of earth and stone contrary to normal belief, were not scary but pleasant to watch under those old trees, and that soft light of spring.

I grabbed my running shoes and laced them tightly. Walking down the dark stairs and corridor of that strange building, I finally reached the light. As I opened the front door, I found myself facing one of those streets whose charm can never be found. A few blocks away, I found a perfect place to run. It was a beautiful little park, with several paths, not too long but extensive enough to break a sweat on my first lap.  I had been running for four months and secretly blogging about it, equally as much.

Three months before that moment, my then companion and I met in what I can describe as a rendezvous of perfect and strangely enough, wonderful insanity. That man was an avid skier, an excellent cyclist and the best of all, a man of words. I have been witness to other moments on insanity, through people that have crossed  my way,  and I must excuse myself for sounding as if I am romanticizing something that is obviously painful for many, for I have seen and experienced the pain this can cause. I, however, have also been witness to something extraordinary, the brilliance of pure madness that at times comes through short moments. 48 hours to be precise.

Just after these intense 48 hours, that his evident charm, brilliance, and intelligence had blown even my socks away. I,  ignorant of his condition, thought to myself, here is a man who can speak, who wants to speak, who wants to share his mind, his heart, his soul and he is giving all this to me. During those 48 hours, my companion learned about my eagerness to run and complete a dream, among other things.

Many things happened in this story that is not pertinent to say here, but I dare to say this: I am a woman who has been loved back three times in her life. Some of us are not meant to live next to those who have loved us (and I suspect that this might be my destiny) but I have lived love’s plenitude in ways that defy the meaning of eternity, for what is love and loved, can’t be forgotten, it exists and transforms itself in wonderful emotions that allow us to give love to others. Love feeding love. 

While I was running in that beautiful little German park, I started to laugh. I suddenly remember that my companion, just after we met those 48 hours, have called me from the hospital he had been placed for a few weeks after our meeting. Something that my intuition and research of his condition had portended me to believe it had happen, as he had disappeared for a few weeks. After a while he asked how was my running project going, he then added that he was inspired by me, and that he had been running 10 kilometers in the treadmill at the hospital. As I congratulated him he said –ten kilometers running backwards. 

One must have permission to remember, yes permission to remember and be loyal to the memories of events that have made us so happy, that have made us smile, that have transformed our lives, through happiness and sadness, through sanity and insanity. Because life and love never run a straight running road, sometimes we need to allow them to wisely run backwards, even if it doesn't make sense.

In memory of A.V.S. 04'10
Stavanger 23.04.14
I-I-I

No comments:

Post a Comment