Monday, 6 June 2016

Wake Up! Wild Camping in Preikestolen

We have done the hike to Preikestolen as many as eight times myself and my son four times, the difference this time was that we decided to go late in the afternoon when the tourist crowds were gone and wild camp above the famous pulpit in order to catch a beautiful sunrise over the Lysefjord. This was our second time camping in the wild and we couldn’t have wished for better weather than the one we got. The hike is marked as challenging on the official website, and it certainly felt heavier with our full backpacks, our equipment is not the best and therefore is not light weight, but as our economic situation is not the best, those luxuries will have to wait until my situation is better. The good thing is that we have good legs and body strength to rely on. My son managed his 8 Kg load very well and I after repacking carried around 18 Kg with me.

Camping, mountains, sea and basically nature living was not part of my life in México, I learned to love this lifestyle through the passion that other Norwegians have injected in me by experiences shared, learning as I go, absorbing a lifestyle that makes me really calmed and happy. These things are important for me because I also want to transmit them to my son, unfortunately his father is not interested in nature so the lessons of Norway wild life and cross country skiing will not come from him, so we both learn at the same time how to be good in nature like the Norwegians I admire.   

As to the sunrise, I stayed awake admiring the dawn from 2:00 AM until the sun came around 4:00 AM the other parents didn’t wake up their kids to see the sun, but I rushed down to our tent and woke up Aleksander, and told him “he is out, the sun is out, you have to see it”. He sat down in the tent all covered like a caterpillar in his sleeping bag and look out the tent and I told him “look at the sun is beautiful” he said yes and then lay down again and fell asleep. And just like the 9th symphony of Beethoven we went to hear with the Stavanger Symphony, or the backpack-train trip we did last year in Europe, this experience will end up being erased quite soon from his memory, all that is left are the photos of those moments he has already forgotten and I am ok with that because that is what childhood should be, a good feeling of a faded memory one doesn’t know if it was a dream or a reality.

As for me, the sunrise on top of a Norwegian mountain was a wonderful experience. I felt so happy in the evening as we danced on the top of the mountain to a beautiful sunset while my son smiled not yet embarrassed of his mother’s moves. There on top of the mountain next to him and a few good friends, if only for 24 hours I felt that happiness that doesn’t need of the hope of something more nor the future with a more complete life to exists. 



Hundvåg 06.06.2016












No comments:

Post a Comment