A Christmas
Harbor
Paula
Robles Nettel
There they
were, the bohemian and the poet, standing along the baggage conveyor belt in
Stavanger Airport; I observed them from the distance, and even snapped a photo
of them while my presence still passed undetected. Despite my physical
weariness caused by the hectic days prior to their arrival, my Christmas guests
had finally arrived and I felt relieved.
I got closer to them, hugged them both as if I had known them both
equally as much.
The hours
before, during and after Christmas, were for the first time in many years
dominated by men, rather than the usual, which tends to be female company. I
enjoyed very much observing my three male guests behaviors, and their
interactions between themselves, and with the man of the house Aleksander. It slightly
felt like those university days, a fresh
camaraderie of people who understand
each other, and that somehow, have gone and are going through similar stages in
life despite their age differences and life circumstances.
Each one of
them help around the house and also devoted some of their time to their
interest and passions. A a sense of calm prevailed in the house during the given hours, before and just after Christmas Eve. Morten cooked and read poetry to us. He
as usual, made each moment count, reminding us of the blessing of being in
company. Rune wrote poetry, played Christmas
and Dylan music for us in my guitar, and many times sat in my favorite corner
to read with an enviable concentration. We
all had conversations and share common and
harmonic moments of silence. I attended
my chores, after all we were expecting four guests more, including two more
men. I escaped to my thoughts, as I
usually do most of the time, for life
chores and circumstances in the physical world are no impediment for me to
seclude myself in the world that lives inside of me and that is so necessary
for me to function.
Christmas
eve became our metaphorical manger, a
shelter against all that no longer is there, all that is far away, all that is lost or placed in an
impossible distance to our realities. Instead, that night we gave ourselves to the
moment and the warmth of the company around us, and it seemed we all stirred
away from melancholy.
A Happy
Christmas it was, and the days after, continued to be beautiful with the gift of
snow to a whimsical rainy town. And hope, hope stayed around, sitting in the
empty chair around us, she came dressed in different colors, and bestowed to
each and every one, the possibility of brighter days ahead, and she whispered
to me: Remember the haven of hope has place for more, as long as it feeds with
the love of God.
From Bergen 29.12.14
No comments:
Post a Comment