Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Women of my clan

Insomnia is not a selfish friend, she might want company when she is bored, but she grants you thoughts no other time of the day grants. Half way into the night she awakes me, and I surrender myself to her, to the dreams I carry, and the motives that move me.

Tonight she has come all the way to Mexico City, she wants me to remember the thoughts that have been running in my head all day. A trip is not just a trip, this trip had one purpose and that was to see my grandmother one more time, she is turning 102 and me living so far away,  this is perhaps the last time we see each other in this world.

I have wandered around her house all week, into the past, experiencing the magic her home and stories about the family has always provoked in me, and seeing  my son discovering such feeling, I feel happy I came to see her, to experience her world. I have observed the dynamic of this family, and the women stand out, each and everyone of them. How could I thought my strength, yearn for independence, the feisty nature in me was a random occurrence in my life?

I am looking at the wall, all diplomas of higher education stand in the wall, Mexican women of my family have always been encouraged to educate themselves, bachelors, masters, PhD's and even those with less luck to have completed a degree, are women of culture, well spoken, well read and well raised, who have further on passed on to their daughters by example and encouragement their inspiration to develop themselves. I can see now, I am a consequence of these women, of these family, of the conversations that have occurred during my growing up years.

Education degrees of the women of my family range from Lawyer, Psychologist, Ethnologist, Neurosurgeon, Business, Teachers, Engineers, Translators, Literature etc. Some of these women have even gone further to become highly recognized on their fields. What a great example for the generations to come, of men and women of this family.

I have recognized during this trip, traits of my character from each and every women in my family, I know that these traits have not been learned but have been inherited by genes. I feel happy to understand myself better, and to recognize, the good things in myself in them, for I am lucky to belong to such an eclectic clan of women, awaken to their nature and their possibilities, gainful of their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment