There is a memory in me, of my early years, a thought and yearn to live abroad. As a child of perhaps merely 10 years, I concentrated my thoughts in the dilemma of mountains vs. sea; years later life took charge and brought me close to both.
I’ve seen my share of Norway, from sea and land. I’ve had the experience to drive through the stretch roads of Norway, through cities, to villages in the country side; from south to north - from west to east. So many villages I have passed that have triggered my curiosity, of what it means to live in their reality, looking at their green field lands stretching around their beautiful Norwegian style houses, that stand peacefully at the edge of fjords and mountains, their lives unfolding in a beautiful living painting of things I had only seen in images before.
Nowhere in this land, has the landscape have failed to unfold grandly to my foreign southern eyes; it has never failed to touch the inner emotional sensitivities of my soul, and with a touch of nostalgia even brought to my eyes unprovoked tears, to be standing where I stand, facing the fulfilled past of a child’s dream, and the present of the woman I became.
In my journey of discovery and meaning, in the solitude I have come to terms with, I have found the ability to absorb attentively the spiritual experience that coexists between humans, nature and divinity, and in consequence to reconnect with all three. I have specially connected with the ones I knew before, who patiently waited for me to emerge again, and those that along the way have join my path to help me build up myself again.
How lucky I’ve been as a foreigner, to be embraced by wonderful Norwegian people, who have treated me always like part of their flock, extending to me their homes, their lives, their experiences and traditions; that have included me in their life celebrations, holidays and their daily lives. How lucky I have been, to sit in their tables, bless and shared meals with them, laugh and enjoy life with them.
Indeed, how lucky I have been and how grateful I remain.
Indeed, how lucky I have been and how grateful I remain.
From Utvik, Bergen & Stavanger
With all my gratitude to the Rekdal and Kårstad families, who always give me a loving home and wonderful experiences in Bergen and in Utvik.


No comments:
Post a Comment